A few nights ago, my beloved cat Dexter got really sick. He's a very large cat, skiddish, and on a good day, very mellow. This night, however, was different. My mom and I rushed him to the emergency vet, slightly freightened. Next to us in the waiting room was a family in utter distress. If their faces didn't give it away, their habits did. The mom and her two children just sat and waited; no phones, no Ipods, no magazines... they just sat and stared. I could intstantly tell that they would do anything for their animal, whatever it may be.
It got me to thinking... why do people care about animals so much? My mind drifted to a movie night with friends. We had gone to see Invasion, a high-suspense horror film where people are dying left and right. It wasn't until much later into the movie when the camera caught sight of a dead dog that my friends and I gasped in horror. "Aww, the poor puppie..." and never "Oh, the poor man... and woman... and child..."
I always thought it was the most ridiculous concept... the idea that we sometimes seem to value animal life over human life. But seeing that family that night gave me a different perspective. Pets love unconditionally... their wants and needs are few, but they're loyal to the last. Now let's think about what man has done to us. They betray, they hate, and they destroy eachother and the world they live in. Poor Lassie doesn't even understand the concept of hate.
It reminded me of God's love, that unconditional constant that remains no matter what we do to ourselves or eachother. Has the human race destryed itself? Yes. Is the only thing truly loves you in this world your dog Lassie? No. Can you imagine what would happen if we loved God with the same adoration we offer our pets? I know I'll never look at my cat Dexter the same way again...
~Bobissaur
P.S. Dexter is doing just fine :)

No comments:
Post a Comment